Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Social Media

Well, Chapter 14 is written like all the other chapters in that it presents information in a generic, textbookish mode. Cornelissen basically provides us with definitions of the various social media until the end when he talks about opportunities, but even that section is generic. What surprised me is the very critical tone of the Nestle’s case study. I think it is the most critical of all of them in the book. On page 260, Cornelissen does talk about “social presence theory,” which sounds interesting, but he doesn’t go much beyond defining it. To me, that should have been the framework of the chapter. I also wanted to hear more about it.


What I’d like to ask you all is if I should use this textbook again and why or why not? There’s another textbook I had considered using, you might remember from an earlier post, Corporate Communication by Paul Argenti. Check out the table of contents and other information here: http://shop.mheducation.com/highered/product.M0073403172.html. Of course, this book costs $125, which is why I went with the Cornelissen text, as I’ve said before. I’ll be interested to hear what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I agree chapter 14 was generic. I took a look at the Paul Argenti book table of contents and checked out his biography on the Duke website. Argenti is a cutting edge scholar. Argenti's book seems worth the spend because he is also publishing current research. I appreciate that he is a consultant for both corporations and nonprofit organizations.

    Check out this review on Amazon-- I am sold!
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R1HV2504GUIRCS/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0073403172&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=283155&store=books

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I appreciated the European perspective Cornelissen gave, his overall tone was uninspiring and lacked critical analysis. It is worth exploring Argenti as an alternative, though I can't tell much from the website. I notice under "Features," the book is described as having a "managerial tone," which gives me pause, since I'm not sure what that means.

    ReplyDelete